Skip to Content

Current Focus

Current Focus: The creation of more high-performing schools in Boston, with the ultimate goal of all children in Boston receiving a quality education, to provide Boston youth with necessary skills and opportunity for success.

*The state classifies schools and districts on a scale of 1-5 as follows:

1 - Meets Requirements
2 - Meets Requirements-At Risk
3 - Needs Technical Assistance
4 - Needs Intervention 
5 - Needs Substantial Intervention

We aim to increase the number of high-performing schools: schools that are meeting or exceeding requirements according to the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education in Boston. We strive to create lasting reform in schools that need assistance through the support of partners. Necessary reform for increasing school performance includes: employing excellent teachers, ensuring an enriching and demanding curriculum, and meeting students’ needs inside the classroom. A school may be classified as a low-performing school if the aforementioned needs are not met. 

In need of improvement: Boston Public School District

  • As of 2014, Boston Public Schools as a whole are assessed at level 4; the school system is under the classification a “Commissioner’s District”. 
  • Only 38 of 126 schools (30%) in the Boston Public School System are meeting state academic requirements (levels 1 & 2)
  • Only 18,488 of 54,312 students (34%) in the Boston Public School System are enrolled in high-performing schools; the remaining 66% of students have the disadvantage of being in a school that needs intervention

A significant number of Boston Public School students fail to graduate each year or graduate with insufficient skills. Lacking a quality skillset to achieve hinders performance in college and the ability gain employment in today’s demanding workplace. Our goal is to improve student knowledge and achievement by improving the quality of Boston schools.


* The current report system to assess school and district performance is conducted by the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education, required by the U.S. Department of Education, to determine performance levels of public school systems on a scale of 1-5 with 1 being the highest performing schools and 5 being the lowest.